Old Batavia City area has several museums close to each other, one of which is the Puppet Museum in Jalan Pintu Besar Utara 27, Jakarta The museum is displaying various types and forms of puppets from all over Indonesia and abroad are made of wood, leather, or other materials.
Puppet Museum is also showing off the dolls that come from Europe, Thailand, Suriname, China, Vietnam, India and Colombia are a variety of puppets such as shadow puppets, puppet show, shadow boxes, shadow grass, coconut puppets, masks, puppets beber and gamelan .
Wayang Indonesia has been recognized by UNESCO on November 7, 2003 as a world heritage of Indonesia You can participate by visiting the museum .
Puppet Museum now has about 5147 collection of puppets from a number of areas in the country such as Sundanese, Javanese, Bali, Lombok and Sumatra There is also a puppet of foreign countries like Malaysia, Suriname, French, Cambodia, India, America, Britain, Thailand, and Vietnam The shape is very diverse both in form and motive.
In this museum there are also all about puppetry supplies ranging from lighting equipment used to make a shadow behind a screen called Blencong Lights There is also the accompaniment of instruments such as the gamelan and a stage that is usually used for puppet shows.
Puppet comes from the word ‘bayang-bayang’. Initially puppet is used to communicate with ancestral spirits or ancestors with the intermediary that is the mastermind.
Puppet Museum building was formerly a church founded by the VOC in 1640 under the name “de oude Hollandsche Kerk”. The church is to worship the civilian population and the Dutch army until 1732. In 1808 the building was destroyed by the earthquake, the building was built in 1921 next Noe Reinaissance style that functions as a warehouse owned by Geo Wehry and Co. In 1938 the entire building was restored and adapted to the style of the Dutch house Next year 1839 the building was opened as a museum under the name Museum of Batavia by the Dutch Governor-General van Starkenborgh Tjarda Stachouwer.
In 1957 the museum was handed over to Indonesia Cultural Institutions (LKI) and since then the museum’s name changed to the Old Museum Jakarta On 17 September 1962 was given to Dekdipbud (now Kemenbudpar) RI next to the Provincial Government of Jakarta on June 23, 1968 to serve as the inaugural Puppet Museum on August 13, 1975 conducted by the Jakarta governor Ali Sadikin.
Image Gallery :
Leave a Comments
Cultural Heritage, Kemenbudpar, Museum Wayang Indonesia, musium wayang jakarta, puppets museum, wayang